This post may contain affiliate links, so, please visit my Disclaimer page for more information.
What would you get out of this post?
From this particular post, you should expect to learn the 15 most effective Tips during really any bone fracture while the post emphasizes on 5th Metatarsal Fracture on Foot. Do not miss out on the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) at the bottom of the post.
Okay, let’s face it, a Bone Fracture is a nightmare and can happen when we least expected it. It feels even more terrible when it happens before a planned event that you were looking forward to attending and wanted to have the time of your life. So, it happened you broke your foot, now what?
Stay off /Immobilize the injured foot immediately following injury and pay extra care and attention to it the first 48 hours that will decide the next 8-12 weeks of healing time. When I broke my foot, I haven’t taken these steps in a timely manner and I paid a big price for it and had to endure more pain with additional healing time. You don’t want to make the same mistakes that I did.
Healing of a broken bone takes time and depends on several factors including the age, health condition, nutrition intake, blood flow to the bone (Jones fracture is a challenge where there is less blood supply), and treatment. There are four stages in the repair of a broken bone and you need to avail your body at each of these stages to effectively heal it by following the Tips: 1) the formation of hematoma at the break, 2) the formation of a fibrocartilaginous callus, 3) the formation of a bony callus, and 4) remodeling and addition of compact bone.
The below image has been taken from RehabMyPatient and it clearly displays the 5 Metatarsals of the foot and the 5th one is highlighted in red.
Below are 15 Most Effective Tips that will help you with quick healing of 5th Metatarsal Fracture (connected to the tiny toe) on the Foot that does not need surgery (external fixation) and the healing period is 8-12 weeks:
- Call someone:
- This is the time to call in a favor, you will need help from a person for the first couple of days at the least
- The next 2-3 months, use the food delivery service GrubHub or Ubereats but order healthy, see #7 below
- Take the help of your friend to set up the most basic things that you need on a daily basis closer to you like Toiletries, TV setup, books to read, etc.
- Take help to place an order and install a Shower stool like below that you would need to make sure you sit and take a shower
- Follow the proven RICE method:
- R – Rest your foot completely following the injury (for 24-48 hours)
- I – Keep applying an Ice pack on the injured area for 20 mins every hour (for 24-48 hours)
- C – Apply Compression using an elastic bandage or compression socks to reduce swelling (snug fit only, not too tight)
- E – Elevation of the foot above the level of the heart to reduce swelling and help with the pain
- Pain reliever:
- Consider Ibuprofen or any other pain reliever that works for you that avails you with the discomfort and the pain.
- Visit a Podiatrist:
- The podiatrist will perform a thorough diagnosis for the 5th Metatarsal Fracture, consider X-rays depending on the severity of the injury, the foot is kept immobile with a cast, cast boot, or stiff-soled shoe (external fixation), black walker like below will be provided to you in the office and they will teach you the basics of its usage:
- Some cases like displaced bone, multiple breaks or slow/no healing may warrant for a surgery (internal fixation) that often requires metal implants
- Make sure you provide enough information to the Podiatrist and assist in making the right decision
- Prefer a Knee Scooter to crutches:
- A KneeRover Economy as shown below is easy to maneuver and is steerable with wheels for both indoor and outdoor use. This alleviates weight from your leg and foot, all you have to make sure is the floor is clear of the clutter
- A caution about Stair-climbing:
- Avoid using stairs altogether but if you must use, climb the stairs positioning yourself so that the stairs are behind you and using your bottom and pushing the weight of your body with your hands, lift your body up one step at a time
- Eat Nutritious Food every single meal:
- This is no time for losing weight and cutting back on food. Eat complete and balanced food every single meal that is also easily digestible and according to your health condition
- Speed up healing with foods rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Mineral complex, Amino acids, and Collagen:
- Bone broth, Eggs, Spinach, Swiss chard, Yogurt or kefir, Sardines, Chia and Pumpkin seeds, Grass-fed Organic Meat for high protein, Almonds, Black Beans, oranges, kiwis, Avocados, Consider vegetable juice for easy consumption
- Stay away from fast food, processed food, conventional dairy, and meat, Alcohol, excess sodium, excess sugar that actually work against the bone healing
- Do not overload on calories:
- There is a lot of misinformation on the internet that encourages to either double or triple the calorie-intake
- Do not overload on calories as you want your body to concentrate on healing the bone with nutritious food but at the same time not to put the body through unwanted stress
- Get enough sunlight on a daily basis – Vitamin D is very critical for bone healing:
- If you live in a place where there is poor sunlight, consider investing in Red/Infrared light therapy and apply it on a daily basis per the dosage at least twice a day. It helps with the 5th Metatarsal Fractures by improving circulation
- Healthy supplementing on Vitamin D (8000-10,000 IU), B-Complex, Calcium, Magnesium Chelate, Zinc, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Cod Liver Oil or Krill oil, Mineral complex, Amino acids, and Marine Collagen
- MaryRuth Daytime and Nighttime Liquid Multimineral – worked great for me that this is a staple now. MaryRuth covers a lot of the required multivitamins and mineral complex, please read the labels and only buy what is not covered.
- Usage of a Bone Stimulator:
- Consider buying a used bone stimulator on e-Bay which still has a lot of uses left in it and fairly newer version
- Bone Stimulator is helpful if you have slower healing than normal and also for Jones Fracture because there is a much lower blood supply to this area of the foot. Bone stimulator helps improve blood circulation in the area
- Massage and Vibration:
- Massage your feet using a Magnesium oil at night time before sleeping, helps with pain and also induce sleep
- Apply some kind of Vibration to the foot to improve blood supply
- Exercise without hurting your feet:
- There are plenty of exercises you can do to keep your body active and healthy pumping blood even during a bone fracture without hurting the foot, stay active
- Substitute that extra coffee with Green Tea for added Anti-oxidants
- Sleep, Sleep and Sleep
- Never give up on sleep that will prolong the healing time. Sleep leads to faster healing as each cell of the body renews itself during sleep including tissue/bone building.
If you never faced a fracture before and suddenly it is that day, I want you to take the right steps and my effort to write this article is to help someone out there looking for the most effective steps to take in order to get back on your feet as quickly as you can.
Please remember that every one of us is unique and react differently to pain and treatments so, it is important to understand that the healing time depends on you and only you.
All the very best and don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have and I will be more than glad to help you with. Once you are back up on your feet ready to dance :-), I would highly recommend a good pair of high arch support performance shoes.
Now, you might have put on a little weight which is okay but the good news is the shoe size is ageless.
Thank you for reading this long post and please use the below links if you want to order the products that I recommended after thorough research and these not only helped me immensely during the healing of my own Jones Fracture-5th Metatarsal but also helped me enjoy a high-energy vacation within 10 weeks.
I do make a small commission if you purchase the products using the links below at no extra cost to you which will help me keep the lights on, thank you.